Holiday decorations may be visually appealing, but they also increase your risk for a home fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical problems cause 38 percent of home Christmas tree fires.
As you deck the halls of your home this season, follow these tips from NFPA and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) to prevent serious electrical and fire hazards:
- ? Check light sets for frayed or damaged wiring before using;
- ? Connect no more than three mini light sets for decorating;
- ? Keep your tree at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles or heat vents;
- ? If you have a live tree, remember to add water to the tree stand daily; and
- ? Always turn off holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Give the gift of safety this season. For more holiday safety tips, download and share USFA’s “Put a Freeze on Winter Holiday Fires” holiday_infographic with family and friends.