Some this to remember since Summer Heat is Coming:
Common Heat Dangers
- Heat stroke is a serious medical emergency. Call 911 if you see someone suffering!
- The signs of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, clammy skin & a weak pulse - if you feel or see any of these in others it is time to cool off!
- A sunscreen with SPF of at least 15 can keep your skin cool.
- A burn from the sun can ruin your day, so wear a wide-brimmed hat to keep heat at bay.
- The sunscreen on your skin will eventually dry, so reapply!
- Caffeine and alcohol may sound fun, but they’re no good if you’re out in the sun!
- Never attend a crowded outdoor event without plenty of water to avoid Dehydration. Remember, heat is a major killer.
- Sports drinks have electrolytes that help you stay hydrated. Drink them WITH water to protect against Heat Illnesses.
- Electrolyte tablets are a great remedy for dehydration, and even better to take before heading into the heat as a preventative measure!
- Dizziness is a sign of heat exhaustion. If you get woozy, go inside for a cool drink to cool off.
- If you start to get tired playing out in the sun, go back inside for some indoor fun!
- If you’re outside during an event, know where First Aid services are!