How can you know when to suspect internal bleeding?
If a rescuer suspects the casualty has internal bleeding or injuries, the rescuer should call 911 / EMS immediately! Do not wait! Severe bleeding can cause the casualty to go into shock and is a life-threatening emergency.
Signs & Symptoms of Major Internal Bleeding
- Discoloration or bruising of the skin
- Area appears tender, swollen and/or hard
- Rapid breathing, rapid pulse
- Skin that feels cool, clammy and moist
- Nausea and vomiting
- Excessive thirst
- Declining level of conscious